Volunteer Position Title:
- Adult Basic Literacy or ELL(English Language Learner) Tutor
- To help an English speaking adult improve his or her reading and writing skills or to help an adult whose first language is not English learn to speak, understand, read, and write English.
- To help broaden a student’s horizons through a one-to-one tutoring relationship or through small group instruction.
- Prepare lesson plans based on the needs and interests of the student.
- Select adult materials and approaches that are suitable for the student’s ability and needs.
- Respect the student by involving him/her in decisions about the learning process.
- Encourage the student by praising him/her and by showing a positive attitude about learning.
- Guide the student in his/her understanding of American culture.
- Keep in contact with the Program Coordinator and notify her if problems arise or if tutoring sessions must terminate.
- Introductory workshop for anyone interested in tutoring.
- Tutor Training Workshop.
- Roundtable meetings for tutors to share questions and concerns.
- Literacy collection on the third floor of the Library.
- Audiovisual materials on the third floor of the Library.
- Website – ell.newtonfreelibrary.net.
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Contact Susan Bécam, Program Coordinator